Thursday, November 09, 2006

Your vote counts!!!! (For what?)

The other day was Election Day; long live the tradition that is the backbone of every Democracy!

Being a sound American Chusid, I was all hyped to fulfill my civic duties.
After work I drove straight to the voting place, found parking a block away, and marched purposefully through the rain (no umbrella) to “choose” my next representative.

My shoes made squeaky noises as I trod on the freshly waxed floors, my targets were three little old ladies with blue hair sitting at a rickety desk looking very important.
“What’s you name, honey” asks one of them. “Chaim Chusid” I bark, back straight, looking her right in the eye. She looks through her register, “ok sweetheart go to line 123”. I resist the urge to salute, turn on my heel and walk towards the line she indicated.

I got into line, and started putting on my gartel, thinking about an appropriate “hininie michon” to say, when a very annoyed voice grumbled “Hold it right there sonny, I need to make sure your signature matches before you get on that there line!”
I looked down towards the voice, and there was a very sweet looking African-American female octogenarian about 4 feet tall, furiously waving a be-ringed finger at me.
At first I was at a loss for words, how did so small a thing create so big a sound? “Well, don’t just stand there, we have to match your signature, my desk is over there.” Obediently I followed her to her desk.

“Hmmmm,,, Kaim, Kaim,” she murmured as she ran her finger down the list, “nope no Kaim’s at the address you gave me” “But that’s my signature right there!” I protested, pointing to my name with the signature next to it. “That’s Tshaim, not Kaim,” she said with highly suspicious overtones.
After a lengthy explanation, and showing her my drivers license she agreed that Kaim and Tshaim and Chaim are indeed one and the same, and issued me a flimsy little piece of paper, which in turn granted me the privilege to get back into the line.

Back in line, my gartel firmly fastened, I am next to vote. As the lady in front of me goes into the booth, and the lever gets pulled I can’t help thinking about how funny it is that the world’s most advanced super power uses such an archaic method to choose its leaders. With all the computer advancements we develop you would think that someone would think about computerizing the system, after all the image of an average man going into a booth to pick his leader is the epitome of what America stands for. It’s a little odd that the image should contain machinery that has been around since the early 1900’s. A bit of an oxymoron but anyway I was the next one to vote.
I hand the lady my paper, get into the booth, click the thingies, B’dafkeh don’t vote for Hillary, (because I can) yank the lever, mission accomplished!

A lovely tale, here is my question:

We make an effort to go and vote, but do we accomplish anything?

I understand the argument that people in a neighborhood, be it chasidish or not, need to vote so that the candidates will take their requests seriously, but does it really make a difference?

At the end of the month will my taxes be lower? Will my kids have a better school? Will I be able to smoke in a restaurant or bowling alley?

Does it really matter who wins???

9 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

of cours it matters we must vote!

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Chaim Chusid said...

Anon,
"In the cours of it mattering" you are right, as I stated in the post, we all need to do our duties, my question, however was:
What do we accomplish?
Respectfully Yours,
Chaim
(thanks for reading)

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Also A Chussid said...

Reb, Chaim,

I am proud we both share the same last name.

I reread your post twice. Conceder me to be your number one fan… Who cares if it matters or not, as long as I get to read your posts…

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Chaim Chusid said...

A. A. Chusid,

You and I are not the only ones that "share" this last name.
There is an entire "Chasidishville" out there that shares the name as well!!

The point is that we are trying to put out a view about Chasidim that might be a little different than what people might be accustomed too.

I re-read your comment twice, and I consider you my number one fan, as it does matter!

I do plan to write, and do hope you continue reading!

Ani Hakuten,
Chaim

P.S. You never answered the question I posed in the post!

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes it matters who wins, and sometimes it matters who loses. Maybe we need to have some shmucks in office before we wake up and vote for some normal people. Although honestly, for the hamoyn ahm, things generally stay the same regardless of who is in power at the moment.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Chaim Chusid said...

Iz all good,

I thank you for commenting, and for your highly philosophical insight.

I remain,
Chaim

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Chaim Chusid said...

N. E. A. Chosid

You're right, we need to show a presence, but do we accomplish anything?

Chaim

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger anonym00kie said...

i also tend to get cynical, and often dont vote.. it just seems to pointless... but i dont think id recommend it to others.. im glad others are voting.. just in case it does make a difference :)

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Tipesh said...

If the Rebbe zichrono livrocho invested so much to Asser the "Becheeres" in the Middle East,there must be something extremley symbolic and important about it. I am not sure if that is a reason to vote or not to vote, but it sure isn't something to be ignored.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home