Thursday, October 26, 2006

Discriminate, Nah.., Never!


I happen to work at a place that is owned by a fellow chusid who has a very interesting outlook on the prospect of “discrimination”. Ask him outright if he is prejudice, or discriminates, the answer will be an indigent “NO, NEVER”, and that might even be the case but when it comes to a fellow yid…. The story changes a bit.

The office employs a few frum employees, several Mexicans, and one or two Muslims. All are treated more or less the same, except the Frum employees.

Let me explain. Mohammad one of my co-workers has just finished fasting l'kuvid Ramadan. He was at work every day, did his job well, all was good. Now I don't know hilchos Ramadan very well, but I suppose that on the last day of this very hungry month there will be a holiday and Mohammad will call in sick, or request a vacation day etc. etc. no? Well I asked him that question and he said “Chaim, I work hard, no need vacation, I be here tomorrow”

“OK”

The next morning I get to the office, Mohammad is not there, I ask the secretary if he took the day off, not looking up from her breakfast she replies “Avadeh!! He did.”

I laughed to myself, and made a mental note to tease him about it the next day.

The next morning Mohammad comes stumbling into the office chewing on a mouthful of Tums. I grin as he gives me a look, and says “I have stomach problems yesterday, no able to come into work”. That’s OK I tell him, I hope you feel better.

I was a bit surprised when he went into the boss’s office to request a vacation day added to his paycheck. The policy is that vacation must be scheduled one month in advance, so when he got the day approved, I thought, good for him, he worked hard, and I guess he deserved a day of wild and frenzied gorging.

I happened to be in the boss’s office as he was reviewing the payroll, and he makes a point of telling me that he approved Mohammad’s vacation day off, even though it was not requested accordingly, and that I should learn from his highly tolerant business practices.

"Ya, ya, he is a goy, one should not make a chillul hashem, always remember that."

I am a bit surprised at the newly found generosity of my boss, and tell myself, see never judge others, here you thought he made Scrooge look like the most charitable man on earth, and you were wrong.

Mohammad gets his pay, all is good.

As I stroll back to my little office I can't help but notice the difference in responses from my boss when Mohammad asked for a day off due to his religious concerns and a conversation I had with him two weeks ago about taking off a day for Hashana Rabba.

Boss: (in a strict tone of voice) "Chaim, I see you are requesting a day off next week, you know the policy."

Chaim: (in a very meek tone) "Yes I know, but I just thought about it, and since it's Friday anyway, and I am scheduled to be in all of Chol Hamoed, I was hoping that you could approve it"

Boss: "Nope, sorry I can't approve it, a company rule is a company rule, and I can't break it. It would not look good to the other workers. You can take the day off, but with no pay"

Walking through the cubicles back to my office I blurted out "Ess is nisht gerecht" and as my fellow workers fixed me with concerned stares, no doubt questioning my sanity, I turned red as chrain, and quickly ducked into the safety of my office.

Here is a fellow chusid that would bend a company policy so as not to cause a "chillul hashem", yet would deny me the same courtesy, because it would not cause a "chillul hashem"?

I ended up taking the day off, with no pay, and had a lovely time, but it still bothered me.

I wish I could say it was an isolated incident, but when Yosi’s sister got married, and he came in late the next day, the noise that was going on in the boss’s chamber was nothing like the time he excused Maria for coming late for the same reason.

I believe that charity begins at home. Equality does not mean taking advantage of a person that “you think” will understand and sympathizing with a person that might not.

2 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of reverse discrimination.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Chaim Chusid said...

Iz all good,

That coming from a women?!?

I am kidding!

Thanks for reading, and commenting.

I remain, in good humor
Chaim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home